Cape Breton has a full-service airport—the JA Douglas McCurdy Sydney Airport—with direct flights from Toronto and numerous connections via the Halifax Stanfield International Airport. Bonus: Nova Scotia is located two hours closer to Europe than any other North American destination, and Halifax is closer to Boston and New York than other Canadian city.
Bay Ferries offers high-speed ferry service from Portland, Maine to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia on board THE CAT. Bay Ferries also offers a ferry from Saint John, New Brunswick to Digby, Nova Scotia and Northumberland Ferries operates a ferry from Wood Islands, PEI to Caribou, Nova Scotia. From each of these ferries, Cape Breton Island is then reached by car.
Ferries sail from Port-aux-Basques and Argentia, Newfoundland into North Sydney via Marine Atlantic.
Visitors with sailboats or super yachts will find miles of coastline, and access to the magnificent Bras d’Or Lake. For more information on boating in Cape Breton, click here.
Driving? The North American highway system connects to the Trans-Canada Highway, which leads into Nova Scotia and eastward over the Canso Causeway to Cape Breton Island.
There are also bus services and charters into Cape Breton from various locations.
If you fly into Sydney, car rentals are plentiful. You can also hire a taxi, or take a shuttle or bus tour. Driving in from mainland Nova Scotia, the Trans-Canada 105 will get you from the Canso Causeway to Sydney in approximately two hours. Other routes loop around various sections of the Island and it’s easy to get from one region to another. Secondary roads crisscross to and fro and are full of back road surprises.
Although it’s easy to get around the Island, give yourself plenty of time. Otherwise it’s like trying to gulp a giant feast in mere seconds. Cape Breton is a smorgasbord for the senses. Don’t short-change yourself. Slow down. Breathe deeply. Give yourself time to experience the wonder and magic of it all.
Cape Breton Taxi Services
- Airline A Cabs – Sydney — 1-902-564-4445
- Briand’s Regional Taxi – Sydney River — 1-902-562-6666 or 1-902-564-6161
- Bud’s Taxi – Glace Bay — 1-902-849-4055
- City Wide Taxi – Sydney — 1-902-564-5432
- Crown Taxi – Sydney Mines — 1-902-736-6565
- Dynasty Cabs – Sydney — 1-902-562-5777
- Florence Taxi – Florence — 1-902-736-9161
- Gerry’s Taxi LTD – Glace Bay — 1-902-849-7341
- GW Taxi – Wagmatcook — 1-902-295-0085
- Happy Taxi – Glace Bay — 1-902-567-2949 or 902-567-2949
- Hawco & Pier Taxi – Sydney — 1-902-564-6111
- Island Taxi – North Sydney — 1-902-794-2224
- Jardine’s Taxi – North Sydney — 1-902-794-2414
- King’s Taxi – Sydney — 1-902-564-4444
- L’Acabie Taxi Service – Chéticamp — 1-902-224-1203 or 1-902-224-5069
- Marg’s Taxi – CB Municipality — 1-902-849-8794 or 1-902-849-8981
- Midway Taxi – New Waterford — 1-902-862-6800 or 1-902-862-6954
- Plaza Taxi – Sydney River — 1-902-539-8770
- Sonny’s Taxi – Glace Bay — 1-902-849-1338
- Staggs’s Taxi – North Sydney — 1-902-794-2400
Buses & Shuttle Services
- Acadia Tours — 1-902-564-6200
- Bannockburn Tours — 1-902-295-3310 or 1-888-577-4747
- B&N Shuttle – Sydney — 1-902-562-9893 or 1-800-330-4223
- Brennan’s Shuttle Service — 1-902-737-1265
- Cape Shuttle Service — 1-902-593-8585 or 1-800-349-1698
- Carabin’s Bus Service — 1-902-849-4253
- East Coast Shuttle — 1-902-794-1512 or 1-800-873-5551