Note: Due to COVID-19, the visitor experience at Parks Canada places will be different than it has been in the past. The health and safety of visitors, employees and all Canadians is of the utmost importance and Parks Canada will follow the advice and guidance of public health experts in resuming visitor access and services. We encourage all visitors to practice physical distancing while visiting Parks Canada places.
Parks Canadas network of protected places is large and diverse. Visitor access, services, and even opening dates may vary across Cape Breton Island and Canso depending on local circumstances. Please visit pc.gc.ca/ns and follow Parks Canadas social media channels for information and updates on the status of all Parks Canada places.
Camping: On July 13, Cape Breton Highlands National Park will be accepting new camping reservations for Broad Cove, Ingonish Beach and Chéticamp campgrounds. We will not be offering oTENTik or equipped camping sites this year, however, RV and tent sites are available for advanced booking. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are not able to accept walk-in reservations.
Visitor Centres: Starting July 20, our visitor reception centres in Ingonish and Chéticamp in Cape Breton Highlands National Park will open. In late July, select programs and additional visitor services will be available as well.
Broad Cove Campground is your ideal beach getaway, close to the village of Ingonish and situated in a forest framed on one side by a long, sandy beach on the Atlantic Ocean. This stunning ocean setting, combined with world-class hiking trails and an extensive menu of evening activities, will provide memories to last a lifetime. The campground includes showers, flush toilets, kitchen shelters with wood stoves, fire places, WiFi hotspots, a playground, geocaching, outdoor theatre, interpretive programs and ocean swimming. There are also a number of hiking trails, lake swimming, and waterfalls nearby. During the shoulder season you can pay by self-registration or at the visitor centre.
Broad Cove Campground is located in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Ingonish, 11 km from the Eastern entrance of the park. This campground is open and wooded and features a sandy beach on an ocean cove. There are 83 hook-up sites (E, W, Se; 20, 30 & 50 amp), 113 tenting sites about half with fireplaces and 6 oTENTiks. Hook-up sites are pull-through to accommodate big rigs. Wheelchair accessible sites available. The Park is open year-round, but full visitor services are only available from mid-May until mid-October.
- Heated washrooms with hot showers and flush toilets
- Potable water
- Kitchen shelters with picnic tables and wood stoves
- Group fireplaces
- Activity building for rainy days
- Nearby: camping supplies, internet, groceries, gas station, restaurants
- Cell phone reception varies within campground
- Swimming in ocean or river
- Hiking, fishing, geocaching
- Golf at the world class Highlands Links
- Nearby in Ingonish: whale tours, craft shop
- Interpretive programming in July & August including nature presentations, explore programs, a beach campfire, and stargazing
There are several walking trails nearby including:
- Warren Lake for a level walk or run around the lake
- Broad Cove Mountain for a great view of the coast
- Branch Pond Look-off for a gradual climb to view the coast from the top of the highland plateau
Facilities / Services:
- Wheelchair accessible
- Bilingual/Multilingual staff available
- Pets welcome (except in oTENTiks and Equipped Campsites)
- Flush toilets
- Pull-through sites
- Showers (Free)
- Electrical hook-up
- Sewage hook-up
- Water hook-up
- Unserviced sites
- Cooking shelter
- Open or shaded sites
- Swimming (lake and ocean)