With more fiddlers, per capita, than anywhere else in the world, Cape Breton is a hot spot for Celtic music. In addition to fiddlers like Natalie MacMaster and Ashley MacIsaac, the Island has produced Grammy winning songwriter Gordie Sampson, legendary rocker Matt Minglewood, songstress Rita MacNeil, and many others. Music is the heart and soul of Cape Breton; hear it live.
Here are some marquis music festivals to attend this year:
- Roots to Boots Festival (June 15-18)
- KitchenFest (July 2–July 9)
- Granville Green Outdoor Concert Series (July 2–August 5)
- Making Waves Music Festival (July 6–August 3)
- Acoustic Roots Festival (Sept 1-3)
- Celtic Colours International Festival (Oct 5-13)
Celebrating its 90th anniversary, the iconic Savoy Theatre will be presenting the Cape Breton Summertime Review among many other stage productions this year. The Highland Arts Theatre in Sydney and Strathspey Place in Mabou offer a selection of local productions. For aspiring wordsmiths and literary fans, the Cabot Trail Writers Festival is must attend event.